Candle Care Instructions
What are the candle care instructions?
Burn your candle for 2 hours on first use. Do not burn for more than 4 hours at a time! Trim your wicks to 1/4 inch after each use. Never leave the candle unattended! Place it on a heat-safe surface away from drafts, draperies, pets, and children. Remove flowers and crystals that are not embedded before lighting the candle.
Why should I trim the wick and only burn your candles for 2-3 hours at a time?
These are common instructions and good practices for any candle and are meant to prolong a candle’s burn time. A longer wick creates a larger flame, a larger flame melts the wax faster, and the wax melts faster than the wick burns away. So the longer your candle burns, the larger the flame gets, causing your candle to melt faster and faster. Keeping the wick trimmed and burning 2-3 hours at a time slows everything down so you get a longer burn time.
Additionally, burning your candle for 4-5 hours at a time ensures that the wax melts all the way to the edge of the container. The melted wax (not the flame) is what gives off your candle’s scent, so this will maximize your candle’s scent when lit. It will also prevent your candle from “tunneling”, or burning a hole down the center of the candle while leaving a ring of un-melted wax along the inside of the container.
What are candles safety tips?
- Keep clothes and hair away from the naked flame.
- Always use a suitable holder when burning candles.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- Consider an extra smoke alarm in the rooms where you use candles.
- Extinguish candles before moving them and don't let anything fall into the hot wax.
- Extinguish candles before you leave a room and never go to sleep with a candle still burning.
- Use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out. Blowing them can send sparks and hot wax flying.
- Don't put them under shelves - make sure there's at least one metre (three feet) between a candle and any surface above it.
- Put them on a heat-resistant surface and be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic.